Friday, September 13, 2013

Noiseless & Patient

I'm not sure who noticed them first, but they are hard to miss. My first sighting was while walking out the door a few mornings ago. A thread had been attached to the door frame in the middle of the night and I tore it free with my exit. This particular Neoscona crucifera, a Hentz orb weaver, was nearly as startled as I was, as she - because we learned that it's only the females who spin webs - skittered up the side of the house. Their webs are impressive and stunning.

We've been in this house for three years but have never seen this particular species, but right now, we've got about half a dozen in various crevices outside. Z. has named the one outside her bedroom window "Orba," while the two other most visible ones are "Peg" and "Meg." She told me that some spiders spin different types of silk, some sticky and some not, so they can move freely across their webs. I guess I had never really considered why it is that spiders don't get stuck in their own webs. The orb weaver typically doesn't spend much time in one place, though, and several days later, most have moved on to new locations. Such excitement this morning when I woke Z. up  with the news that Orba had returned to her location sometime in the night. We're all hoping that there will be eggs and wee spiders (perhaps a thousand or more), before the frosts come.


 When I was in Pittsburgh last summer, one had spun an intricate, massive web along the entire length of my hosts' front porch. It was impossible not to stop and examine it, and I came and went every day, impossible not to admire how much effort and detail go into such a complicated - at least, complicated in my mind - endeavor.

3 comments:

  1. Spiders always give me the "heebie jeebies". But I must confess, I find them and their webs extremely beautiful and as much as I dislike their creepy-crawlyness I almost can't kill them or destroy their webs because they are so oddly beautiful and intriguing. I think it's good to be reminded that just because we don't understand certain things completely, or if we don't exactly like something completely for whatever reason, that we can still appreciate them and whatever beauty they possess. Every living thing posses some sort of beauty I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you know the exact species name, Neoscona crucifera, and knew the spider was female because only females of this species spin webs. I definitely need to get a nature guide so I can identify the different species of plants, animals, and trees in the park.
    Spiders also give me the “heebie jeebies”, but if I see a house spider, for example, (I don’t know the name of the species), I will look the other way and do not kill it. I try to live in harmony with all the creatures in the world, if it’s not threatening me, why would I kill it?
    A few weeks ago, I sat on my back porch and saw a little spider spinning a web on the railing. Jumping up from my position and moving location was my first typical reaction, but for some reason I stayed seated and observed the spider with awe, respect, and amazement. He or she was putting a lot of time and energy into this intricate and delicate web. I am beginning to see things in new ways and appreciate the beauty of things I used to never see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know Leslie, I actually don't really use field guides, unless it's for birds. I tend to just Google until I find what I'm looking for :-) All of these orb weavers were gone just a day or two after I posted this.

    Kylie, I probably would have had a completely different reaction to this spider if I had found it in my house (though I'd likely have relocated it back outside).

    ReplyDelete